A previous version began in 2004 using phpwiki. It was inspired by Sensei's Library, a wiki about the game of go. The second version, based on mediawiki software (the one from wikipedia) began on August 5, 2006 and now we are working on 241 articles.
For some time this wiki was closely related to MancalaGames, a mailing list at Yahoo! Many lemmas were first posted there.
What wikimanQala is
The aim of wikimanQala is to become an online reference about mancala games:
- Publishing rules of as many mancala games as possible.
- Providing references to all games.
- Posting recorded games, especially from master players.
- Publishing information about people relevant to mancala games.
- Publishing information about mancala games not yet published elsewhere.
What wikimanQala is not
- A place to make announcements.
- A place to make advertisings.
Why manQala with a Q?
The word "manqala" is a more accurate transliteration of the original Arabic name. Nevertheless, it appears in the dictionaires spelled as "mancala", and most scholars use it this way. So, for a proper name, as wikimanQala, we consider it is no problem to use the q, and even we reivindicate it, but for the text we will use it the dictionary way.