Many wikimanQala users and editors are experienced Internet users who value their privacy. The following policy tries to balance the needs of editors with the needs of the wikimanQala community at large.
- wikimanQala's user information will not be sold for any reason. Your user information will not be sold to marketing companies or other groups who want to bother you. Editors get enough unsolicited bulk email as it is; we're not going to go out of our way to get more.
- You may be sent email by other editors. Each user page contains a link to email the user. Your email address will not be exposed to other users, but they will be able to send you email through the Web form. Additionally, if you email another user, your email address will be used in the From field; sending email through wikimanqala is not anonymous. You can disable email from other users on your preferences page.
- You may be sent email by wikimanQala administrators even if you disabled email from other users. In extreme circumstances, administrators may contact you directly through email. This would be only for extraordinary situations.
- You may be sent mass email by wikimanQala administrators. On very rare occasions, it may be necessary for wikimanQala administrators to send out a mass email to all editors. Again, this would be for extraordinary situations -- such as spectacular changes in copyright policy -- and will not be used for marketing, promotions, or other "newsletter" types of mailing. Normal announcements and news will go in the community portal.
- Editor information will be transferred on demand to law enforcement officials or under court order. In general, your wikimanQala identity will not be protected in case of legal investigation. wikimanQala is not some kind of digital snitch service, and we won't go out of our way to rat you out to the authorities, but we do need to protect the community first.
- IP addresses are logged. The server software logs the IP address of editors and visitor. This is mostly to make statistics, but in case of legal hassle, IP address log information will be turned over to courts or law enforcement officials.
- Your "real name" will be used for attribution. At the bottom of each page is an attribution block showing who worked on the page. This is a feature; we're giving you credit for the work that you do. You don't have to provide a real name to wikimanQala if you don't want; just don't fill out the "real name" field when signing up, or in the preferences list.
- Your username or IP address is associated with changes. When you create and edit an article, your username will be associated with that change. This is required by our copyleft; we need to have some identifier to attribute your work to.
- User pages are published, copyleft works. Your user page is released under the same copyleft license as any other part of wikimanqala. Don't put personal information there that you would feel uncomfortable having appear on any other place.
- Talk pages are published, copyleft works. Similarly, your comments on talk pages are also copyleft, and subject to the same rules for distribution as any other page.